About Matthew Leyba
Matthew is rated one of the top Seattle DUI lawyers in Western Washington. He is currently rated a perfect 10 out of 10 by Avvo.com (a lawyer rating service), and has been repeatedly named a Rising Star in DUI/DWI & Criminal Defense by both Super Lawyers Magazine & Seattle Met Magazine. Less than 2.5% of attorneys receive this honor. Additionally, he is also a top 40 under 40 criminal defense lawyer by the American Society of Legal Advocates, less than 1.5% of lawyers receive this honor.
Born and raised in Salt Lake City, UT, Matthew Leyba graduated from the University of Utah before attending Gonzaga University School of Law. While in Spokane he developed his interest in criminal defense, particularly DUI defense. During his second year at Gonzaga, Matthew interned at the Spokane County Public Defender’s Office.
During the summer of 2006, after graduation, Matthew left Spokane to work in Seattle at one of the largest criminal defense firms in the state. While there, he represented thousands of clients who were accused of committing a wide variety of criminal offenses. It was during this time that Matthew fell in over with DUI defense and from there build his reputation as a skilled trial attorney and advocate for his clients. Matthew litigated more trials in his first four years as an attorney than more attorneys litigate during their entire career. His success in the courtroom led him to open his own practice in Seattle.
Matthew Leyba is an NHTSA qualified administrator of the standardized field sobriety tests, the same tests every trooped and police officer is trained to administer. Matthew is confident and comfortable in the courtroom as he has litigated over 100 jury trials to verdict. This means that not afraid to take a case to trial and present the best defense possible if the prosecution offers a deal that the client isn’t happy with.
- 2016 – Rising Star in Criminal Defense by Seattle Met Magazine
- 2015 – Rising Star in DUI Defense by Seattle Met Magazine
- 2015 – Top 40 under 40 WA criminal defense lawyer by American Society of Legal Advocates
- 2014 – Rising Star in DUI Defense by Seattle Met Magazine
- 2013 – Rising Star in DUI Defense by Seattle Met Magazine
- 2013 – Featured speaker at Washington Young Lawyers Trial Advocacy CLE Program, “Trial Notebook/Organization during jury trial”
- 2012 – Featured speaker at Washington Young Lawyers Trial Advocacy CLE Program, “Trial Notebook/Organization during jury trial”
- 2011 – Featured speaker at Washington Young Lawyers Trial Advocacy CLE Program, “Trial Notebook/Organization”
- 2010 – Featured speaker at Washington Young Lawyers Trial Advocacy CLE Program, “Trial Notebook Skills”
- 2008 – Speaker at ACA misdemeanor unit, “How to analyze a DUI police report”
Memberships and Affiliations
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Matthew currently resides in the Ballard area of Seattle, WA with his wife and two beautiful daughters. He enjoys playing golf. As a 2003 graduate of University of Utah, he is a big fan of the Utes and enjoys watching them in football and basketball.
Call (206) 504-3131 now for a free 60-minute consultation that is completely confidential. Leyba Defense’s main office is located in downtown Seattle at the corner of 7th & Olive, but also have locations in Bothell, and Bellevue, Washington.